Here is the first of the hair clip DIYs. We’ll start off with something quick & easy.
DIY after the jump…
For this clip you will need:
Click here for supply details.
- 3 colors of felt (scraps will do)
- An alligator clip
- A tiny button
- Needle & Thread
- Scissors (tiny is better)
- 4.25″ of 3/8″ ribbon.
- Glue Gun (and glue stick, natch)
- A quarter, nickle & dime
- A disappearing ink marker (or a pencil)
1. Use your coins to create circles on your felt. The dime is for your top, smallest, flower. The nickle, the middle and the quarter the bottom, largest flower.
2. Cut out your circles. Cheat the smallest circle slightly smaller than your outline and your largest circle slightly larger than the outline. They don’t have to be perfect (as you can see)
3. On each circle, snip 6 little cuts toward the center. It’s easiest to do 2 opposite each other, then 2 on each side.
4. Using your scissors, round the corners of each petal.
5. Stack up your flowers and sew on your tiny button. If you don’t have (or don’t like, or are afraid of tiny buttons with a baby) you can simply embroider a few stitches in the center.
6. On the back of the ribbon, add a line of hot glue the length of the clip’s body and quickly place it inside the clip, gluing the ribbon to the inside top of the clip.
7. Add more glue and fold ribbon over to glue to top of clip.
8. Turn clip over, add more glue and glue to “pinchers” of clip and back.
Note: I opt not to add ribbon to the bottom because leaving it metal makes it easier to put in baby hair. If you would like a more finished look, feel free to ribbon-ize the entire clip.
9. Add a line of glue across back of flower (make sure your button is straight) and attach to clip. If you would like to reinforce, you could also stitch the bottom flower to the sides of the ribbon.
And you’re done! but there is one more optional step.
10. I glue a small piece of the hook-side(scratchy) of Velcro into the inside to “grip” hair. It may be why my 2yr old has split ends. My sister-in-law suggests a small piece of velour ribbon. Or it might stay in just fine without.
Disclaimer: I would only use these clips under parental supervision or for children 3+. There is glue and small parts. I have never had a problem but please use your best judgment.
I think these would make a super-cute Christmas gift on a custom card for a bunch of little girl-friends.